History of our Church

The United Church of Christ (UCC) is a mainline Protestant Christian denomination, primarily in the Reformed and Congregational tradition, with historical confessional roots in the Reformed, Congregational and Lutheran traditions.  The United Church of Christ is in historical continuation of the General Council of Congregational Christian churches founded under the influence of New England Puritanism.  The Evangelical and Reformed Church and the General Council of the Congregational Christian Churches united in 1957 to form the UCC.  These two denominations, which were themselves the result of earlier unions, had their roots in Congregational, Christian, Evangelical, and Reformed denominations.  At the end of 2014, the UCC's 5,116 congregations claimed 979,239 members, primarily in the United States.  In 2015, Pew Research estimated that .4% or 1.3 million adherents, of the U.S. Population self-identify with the United Church of Christ.

The UCC maintains full communion with other mainline Protestant denominations.  Many of its congregations chose to practice open communion. The denomination places high emphasis on participation in worldwide interfaith and ecumenical efforts.  The national settings of the UCC have historically favored liberal views on social issues, such as civil rights, LGBT rights, women's rights, and abortion rights.  However, United Church of Christ congregations are independent in matters of doctrine and ministry and may not necessarily support the national body's theological or moral stances.  It is self-described as "an extremely pluralistic and diverse denomination".


The Church in Flicksville  -  In 1849, four congregations joined resources to obtain land and construct a house of worship.  On March 10, 1849 one and one half acres of land were deeded to the trustees of the congregation (Lutheran, Reformed, Presbyterian and Mennonite).  By 1890 the Mennonite and Presbyterian congregations had withdrawn from the partnership leaving the Reformed and Lutherans.

At this time, the church building had no basement.  It was heated by two wood-burning stoves, and kerosene lamps lighted the church at night. Posts and railings in front of the church were utilized to park the horse-drawn wagons and sleighs.  This area was referred to as the "hitching lot". The vestibule and pulpit additions were completed in 1894.  In 1914 major renovations were carried out. The basement was excavated to provide a Sunday School room for the Primary Department and a steam furnace was installed.

In May of 1949, a week-long celebration occurred in recognition of the 100th Anniversary of the co-existence of both congregations.

In 1961 a brick addition was constructed which housed Sunday School rooms and office space.

On March 22, 1970, after more than 120 years of co-existence in the same building, the two Flicksville congregations merged to become, what is still today, the Flicksville United Church of Christ.
Comments